Monday, February 1, 2010

Lessons Learned from a Grouchy Lady

If you missed “The View” two weeks ago in the newspaper, it’s because we used our space in the paper to advertise an upcoming event at Hanover Friends: The Love and Respect Marriage Conference, Friday and Saturday, Feb. 19-20. I am really excited about this conference and encourage you to think and pray about participating! For more information, go to http://www.friendlychurch.org/. Even though I didn’t have a column in the paper, I did write one…and I encourage you to read it on the web site too. You can also subscribe there to receive “The View” via e-mail. It will help you understand this week’s “View” of you read that one in its entirety.
I was asked an interesting question this past week about my last two articles. A reader asked how I could write my first article of the year entitled “Prediction – Pain!” which detailed some of my ideas about negative things which might happen in 2010, and then the write my very next article in response to the Haitian earthquake making the case that God is NOT pouring out his wrath on the world through earthquakes, storms, fires, mudslides, tsunamis or any other natural disaster. Her question was, “How could I reconcile the seeming conflict of these two positions?” The answer is easy! In the first article I predicted war, economic crisis and persecution of Christians, among other unpleasant things. But in each case, I spoke of disasters that were all man-made. Every one of these things result from the choices of people – men acting from their God-given free will in opposition to God’s revealed will in His Word resulting in painful circumstances for the earth. God does not take our choices from us, but neither will he remove their consequences. Thus, my prediction for 2010? Pain!

In the second article, I spoke of events that were NOT man made, but were natural disasters, like the Haitian earthquake. These come upon the earth because the earth is no longer perfect since the advent of sin. (see Gen. 3) The whole creation is groaning, awaiting its redemption from the curse of sin and death. (Romans 8:20-22) Until that day, we will have sickness and disease and all kinds of natural disasters! (For a detailed, Biblically reasoned argument on this, read last week’s “View From Here” at http://www.friendlychurch.org/) I hope that clears things up for anyone else who was wondering!

I also received a nasty phone call from an anonymous grouchy lady reader who took issue with the article of Jan. 6, 2010, “Prediction? Pain!”  She told me that I was the most negative person she had ever heard and if I believed all these bad things were coming I must be miserable and I ought to go ahead and take a gun and shoot myself! (No kidding, that's what she said!) She also blamed me and “people like me” for society's rejection of “organized religion”…and a lot of other rubbish. And you know, she’s got a point…. almost. Paul makes it too. “If in this life only, we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.” In other words, if this life is all there is, and the only “benefit” we get out of being a Christian is to be found here on earth, then we might be happier by not turning the other cheek, not putting others first, not forgiving those who hurt us, etc. But the truth is…this life is NOT all there is! Hallelujah! Get this: “If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men. But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep. For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.” (1Cor. 15:13-22)

I suppose if I didn’t believe in the resurrection of Christ, I’d have the same opinion of me as the cranky lady who called. But I believe in the Living Lord! And that makes all the difference! I am not miserable. My heart is filled to overflowing with joy, even as I see hard things coming. For my God has overcome the world! He is more than able! Do you know Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment